Autumn Chicken Pot Pie
- Dough:1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 Tbs cold water
- Filling:2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (leftover from roast chicken or freshly poached)
- 2 cups chicken broth (whole can)
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled and steamed until tender
- 2 medium carrots, cut into slices and steamed until tender
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In large bowl combine flour, ginger, lemon zest and salt. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of water over the mixture and toss with fork. The dough should be just barely moistened, enough to hold together when formed into a ball. Add more water if needed. Form the dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drop pearl onions into boiling water for 30 seconds; drain, peel. Steam pearl onions and carrots until tender.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in flour and ginger until smooth. Reduce heat to low and gradually whisk in chicken broth. Stir in pearl onions, carrots, apples, cranberries, lemon juice and chicken. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon filling into deep, 10-inch ceramic or glass pie dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a circle, about 12-inches in diameter. Lay the dough over the top of pie dish. Trim and crimp edges. Use a small knife to cut several slits in the center of pie. (Alternatively, make decorative cuts in pie crust before setting it on top of pie.) Set the pie on a baking sheet and place in oven on middle rack. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F and continue baking for additional 20 minutes, until pie bubbles around edges and top is nicely browned. Serve while piping hot.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.