Beef Steak Gyros
- 1 pound beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 4 pita breads, cut crosswise in half, warmed
- tomato slices
- sweet onion slices
- Yogurt Sauce:1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine yogurt sauce ingredients in small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Combine oregano and garlic; press evenly onto beef steaks. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning twice.
- Carve steaks into thin slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve beef in pita pockets with tomatoes, onion and yogurt sauce.
Note: Beef Shoulder Top Blade (Flat Iron) Steaks come from the second most tender beef muscle. They are cut from the Top Blade Roast, which is separated into two pieces by cutting horizontally through the middle to remove the thick connective tissue. Each half resembles a small flank steak. These pieces are then cut crosswise into 2 to 3 individual steaks. They average 7 ounces.
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.